Monday, June 9, 2014

Throwing a tantrum

Ever wonder why Moses can complain and God is on his side yet when the Israelites complain, it's considered a sin (see Numbers 11)?

Stephen K. Sherwood writes of the Israelites, “Yhwh did not hear them praying to him but overheard them complaining without trying to communicate with him (Jobling 1986, 29).” * 

In contrast, Moses communicates directly as a prayer. Perhaps it sounds suspiciously like a tantrum to modern ears but the words "your servant," and "If I displease you," indicates deferential language. “Although Moses is angry, he remains respectful because he is addressing God.”**

So when your heart is aching because things are not working out the way you had hoped... and maybe sometimes is silently screaming because there's nowhere safe to confide, direct that screaming heavenward. God can handle it when we cannot.

"Surrender to God, and he will do everything for you." (Liturgy of the Hours)


***

Just recently I found myself facing the possibility of bearing a huge debt (seven digits!) with a friend. Five years ago I had tried to help a friend out in her business. Things did not work out and I accepted my losses though I deeply regretted getting another friend involved who suffered so much more loss because of his involvement. 

It felt utterly unfair that the mall would have applied interest over unpaid dues and then hit us over the head five years later with a seven-digit number... especially since our involvement came from a sincere desire to help out... on my end, it was more moral support and a small amount I could put in (around P20,000) at the time. 

The lesson to me is never be an incorporator for anyone's business unless you really know what you are doing. Don't do it out of friendship because your heartstrings were pulled. The consequences could be so beyond what you sign up for. But that lesson was too late...

All I could do was pray. With a few friends, we have been attempting a seven-day Jericho walk (every Friday, though now they have added Thursday as well) because of conflicts and trials around us. This was one of my own intentions which I carried in my heart.

Last Tuesday, when we met with the collectors, there was light at the end of the tunnel. It's not officially over yet but it would seem to me that perhaps at least the friend I had gotten involved and I will be shown mercy, considering our circumstances. Did I mention that I just finished a rosary before walking into that meeting? 

Sana things will work out also for the friend we had originally intended to help out.


***

That is why I have absolutely no right to be an unforgiving servant. I have been shown great mercy. What else can I do but forgive? And this is also why I cannot feel anything but compassion for people in conflict over financial matters. In a Pollyanna-like way, I always hope for a peaceful resolution and restoration of friendships, if possible. 

***

"Turn away from evil, learn to do God’s will; the Lord will strengthen you if you obey him." (Liturgy of the Hours)

I still have several petitions on my list. But prayer really works miracles. I hope to have more to write about soon because I know God is working breakthroughs for me even if all the doubts and despair try to take my hope from me. The Lord is my shelter, my refuge, and my rock. I am flawed and weak but his strength holds me up. I surrender. May his will be done.


Lord, we don't understand everything. But you work all things for the good of those who love you and are called according to your purpose. May your will be done. If the desires of our heart are not in accordance with your will, please change our hearts. Let it be yours completely. This we pray in Jesus' name. Amen.




References:

*Stephen K. Sherwood, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Berit Olam: Studies in Hebrew Narrative and Poetry (Collegeville, Minnesota: The Liturgical Press, 2002), p. 153.

**Baruch A. Levine, Numbers 1-20: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary, The Anchor Bible (New York: Doubleday, 1993), p. 323.

No comments:

Post a Comment