Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Heaven-sent

In the struggle towards holiness, I find it helpful to talk to different people to get different perspectives and advice. 

Two Saturdays ago, God sent me Bro. R.

Normally, I have a quick bite to eat at around 11:30 when it's CTS day. This way, I can keep the library open from 12 nn onwards in case any of our lay students want to drop by during their lunch break. But last week, after being dismissed early from class, Bro. R felt a nudge to go the dining hall where he found me beginning my meal. He sat with me. There was no one else around aside from the staff member who would come in from time to time to bring in the rest of the lunch orders. For a cafeteria during lunch break, it was a rare and perfect moment for confiding.  

I took the opportunity to open up to him regarding a certain person... and whether it would be okay for this person to join a spiritual activity I participate in despite certain circumstances. His words were really a different perspective from the ones that have been around me. He said he saw nothing wrong with my friend joining. It was prayer. 

Basically his advice was to remain honest and to keep allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us. Then Bro. R said there is a verse from Romans 8:28, and before he could quote it, I continued it for him: For we know that all things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. It was the very same verse I sent to my friend earlier.

And Bro. R said now he knows why he felt he had to go to the dining hall at that moment. It was really for my benefit. And he assured me that God loves me and my friend very much. Rom 8:28. When the first student came in at 12 nn marking the end of our private conversation, I indeed felt loved so much so that God would allow me 30 minutes with an open-minded person whose advice was a relief to my toxic guilt. 

*****

Last Saturday, I found myself feeling highly emotional and unable to keep my tears in check. Let's just say calculus is a real burden sometimes... certain decisions are out of my hands... and difficult to live with. 

Then surprise, surprise, after I had recovered from my crying bout, I find my sister walking down the stairs to the library. What a consolation! It was God sending me an answer to a prayer I had not articulated because he knew I would need it.


*****

Yesterday, the same sister of mine felt the urge to go to a friend who just lost her mother. So after our graduation from Jeff Cavin's Bible Timeline (first installment), we went to the wake.

My sister had done that for me two days before. Now we were doing it for someone else in need--being a shoulder for someone to cry on. And it turned out her friend badly needed us there. The timing was perfect. Our presence was appreciated. I felt blessed to have been included in the chance to offer her comfort. 


Lord, thank you for sending us the people we need to hear your voice and feel your love. Thank you for using us to bless others. Thank you for both spiritual and biological siblings who listen to your promptings. Help us to also be more sensitive and obedient so we can participate in your love of our brothers and sisters... and maybe even lead others to do the same. This we ask in Jesus' name. Amen. 

Eternal rest grant unto the souls of the faithful departed, O Lord. Let your perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment