Friday, January 16, 2015

Papa Francisco

Pope Francis is visiting the Philippines. He arrived on January 15 and will go back to Rome on January 19. 

I have been blessed and privileged to be part of the OneBillionStories team in the Philippines covering the papal visit. These are some of my kilig moments.

On the first day of Pope Francis' visit, our team was stationed at the corner of Quirino Avenue and Roxas Boulevard. People had been waiting since early in the morning even though the Holy Father's ETA was past 5 pm. 


Vangie Dadula, for example, originally from Tacloban, stayed at nearby Luneta Park with her common law husband from 1 am. They took turns sleeping and endured the cold January air with one jacket between them. Vangie hopes that the Pope's visit will somehow help in the restoration of those affected by typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan).

People stayed for hours just for a glimpse of the Pope. Of course, when that moment came, I hoped to capture it with either a picture or a video.

When the moment did come, I was so overwhelmed, I did not know what I was doing. When I previewed what I had shot, I was disappointed to see that my hand had unconsciously adjusted from a horizontal axis to a vertical one. What a major blooper! 

But when I got home and downloaded the video, it turns out it was a divine correction because the unconscious adjustment resulted in a video that can be viewed correctly---precisely during the moment the Holy Father was passing by.


All I can say is thank you, Lord, for allowing me to have a memento of Papa Francesco's visit to the Philippines. Feel so blessed!

*****

On the way home from the second day of coverage, I took a jeep to Pedro Gil, then walked to Quirino Avenue. I decided to grab a bite to eat at Jollibee before proceeding. I found a seat facing out of the store. It had a nice view of the street, which continued to fill up with people hoping to see the Pope. It was not my intention to try and see the Pope again because we already did during the coverage... but God had something else in mind.  

My teammates from the media coverage were all high and excited after seeing the Pope. I did not feel the same. I wondered what could be wrong with me. But I did not say it out loud. I just kept quiet and focused on whatever task was at hand. 

As I ate my dinner and observed the crowd, I realized there was a real chance of the Pope passing by as he returned from the Mall of Asia. I hoped I could see him again before I went home. And this time, I decided I would just be completely in the moment and no longer reach for my camera.

Request answered. Some time after finishing my meal, Pope Francis did pass by and I did see him. The crowd inside Jollibee and the larger crowd on the streets roared in excitement as he passed by. And in his wake he left a re-energized, renewed crowd. As one participant said, "all your tiredness is gone once you see him."

It was a glimpse... a brief fleeting glimpse. But that unplanned glimpse outside of my assignment was the one that gave me goosebumps. Oh! So all I needed was to be outside of work mode and just let the grace come flowing in.

Thank you, Lord, for letting me experience different moments of seeing St. Peter's successor. May it be a seed which will bear your good fruit someday. 





No comments:

Post a Comment